March 26, 2010

Sprouted Mung Bean Curry



Soaking beans and sprouting them requires a bit of patience or a bit more patience to get it right. I had tough time sprouting my mung beans because of the quality of beans. From one cup of beans, I got only a half cup's worth of fully soaked and sprouted beans ie about 2 cups of sprouted beans. Well the rest of the beans went right into the trash. Anyway a very good recipe that inspired me to make this curry is from the very popular online cooking show 'ShowmetheCurry'. I have modified this recipe according to the ingredients in my pantry and the result was a very yummy,delicious and a tasty curry that I am going to experiment with other sprouted beans varieties too.
Ingredients
sprouted mung beans - 2 cups
curry leaves - 4 leaves
salt - to taste
Masala paste
step1
mustard -1/4 tsp
fenugreek- 5 or 6
pepper corns - 6 or 7
red chillies-3
tomato -1
In a frying pan add little oil and heat it. Now add the above ingredients in the given order. Add to the blender when they are all well fried. Proceed to step 2.

step 2
hing- a pinch
turmeric-1/4 tsp
sweet onion - 1 med
Wipe the frying pan clean and now add little oil.Heat the oil. Add hing,turmeric and the chopped sweet onion.Saute well and combine this 'step 2' mixture and 'step 1' mixture in the blender. Add 70z (I used half of 13.5oz can which is 6.75 oz )of coconut milk to the blender and blend the ingredients to a fine paste. Keep the masala paste aside.
Method
Cook sprouted mung in the pressure cooker for 2 whistles. While cooking, add half a cup of water to the sprouts. Dont add more, since it will make the sprouts mushy. When the sprouts are done, add the paste ,water(about 2 cups approx), few curry leaves and salt to taste. Simmer the curry for about 5 to 7 min. Delicious curry is ready to serve along with rice or chappathis.
I am so happy that this post will be eligible for Susan's MLLA (My Legume Love Affair)Event, hosted this month by Sowjanya of Ruchikacooks.



9 comments:

Sushma Mallya said...

That looks nice, nice way to use sprouts in this delicious gravy...and ya you can use cauliflower istead, it will taste as good as mushrooms..or u can used mixed veggies too

ruchikacooks said...

Drum rolls please...Very first entry :)

Thanks BSDN. Gravy looks so good to go with phulkas

Linda said...

Hello BSDN, the mung bean curry looks really inviting and easy, too! I should try :) Hope you are all doing well!

Hamsi said...

Gravy looks so tempting and perfect.I like it.

USA Restaurant said...

Food is something which is always relishing.I am totally impressed by your blog and I am in a mood to return soon.

Hamsi said...

Healthy and delicious curry. Love sprouted moon very much.

Hamsamalini Chandrasekeran,
http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

This looks so healthy, tasty n beautiful..
Tasty appetite

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

very interesting recipe..
My Heartiest Wishes for 2011..:)
Tasty appetite

Hamsi said...

My favourite and ya its a very health dish. I enjoyed your BBJ toast also.

Indian recipe corner @ http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com